Day 12: Battambang to Phnom Penh

by - May 10, 2011

Quite a short one today as pretty much the entire day was taken up by journey.  I had booked my bus ticket from Battambang to Phnom Penh for 8.30 in the morning, which was a relatively social time to get going - they run every half hour.  The estimated journey time was 5 hours but a combination of bad traffic and awful road conditions conspired to extend this by an hour.  We spent about an even duration of the journey in each carriageway, breaking every British traffic law in existence.  At one stage we ended up in a pot hole so bad that the driver got out to check his bus was okay - and I’m sure that doesn’t happen much.

As we were late arriving, the free hostel pick up I had arranged had already left.  I had also committed the cardinal travelling sin of forgetting the name of my hostel.  All I knew was that it had the number 88 in the title and that I would only ask a tuk-tuk driver for directions as a last resort - if there is one thing more scam-able than a tourist, it is a lost tourist.  After half an hour of walking around in frustration, a local came up and asked if he could help.  It was a real bit of luck that he not only knew where my hostel was, but was a tuk-tuk driver and wasn’t being paid by another hostel to pull customers in.  The rest is history and I am now in the hostel with a pint, having had a seriously unbloggable day!

You May Also Like

0 comments